Papillon Owner's Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Papillon Owner's Forum

This forum is a reference for Papillon owners concerning care, background, technique, and other information. Meet other owners and discuss papillons.

HomeHome  HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

[Guide] Grooming Your Papillon

Go down 
AuthorMessage
The Bard
Admin
Admin
The Bard

Female Number of posts : 21
Registration date : 2008-08-09

[Guide] Grooming Your Papillon Empty
PostSubject: [Guide] Grooming Your Papillon   [Guide] Grooming Your Papillon EmptyTue Aug 12, 2008 5:48 pm

A guide to grooming your Papillon. Note that this guide is for people who keep Papillons as pets, and not for show dogs. A grooming guide for show Paps will be added soon. (Pictures coming soon - next time I bathe my dog)

Brushing
Brushing should be done daily, first with a pin brush, and after with a soft bristle brush. DO NOT use a slicker brush as you will destroy your Papillon's coat and cause split ends. Pay extra attention to the fringe on the ears, and the hair on the back of the legs.

Bathing
Papillons should be bathed as needed. Every 2-3 months is fine, or if you have allergies, every month should suffice. More often than this will remove the natural oils from your dog's skin, and he/she will lose hair.

Begin by brushing through the coat before bathing.

Shampoo Selection Tips:
-Whitening shampoos will not drain color from blacks or sables, but will leech color from reds.
-Human shampoos formulated for platinum blondes or grey hair also work.
-Baby shampoo is a simpler option.
-There are also many dog shampoos formulated for this.

As far as temperature goes, the water shouldn't be too hot or too cold when you feel it on your wrist. A bath tub or large sink should do, but if your dog is more likely to try to jump out, then a bath tub should be used to prevent falls. This is especially helpful because a lot of bath tubs also have spray nozzles.

After scrubbing with shampoo, rinse for at least ten minutes. If you don't properly rinse the shampoo out, the dog will be itchy, and you'll have to do through the ordeal all over again. Be sure to stay away from the ears, eyes, nose and mouth, and do not spray water directly onto the face.

Carefully towel dry, because hair can become matted. After your dog is dry, brush him/her again.

Trimming Nails and Hair
As this guide is not for show dogs, very little trimming needs to be done on the hair. The hair between the pads on his/her feet should be trimmed, as well as the area around the anus and urination area (be careful not to cut the long hair known as the "pee pee string" on male dogs, which the dog uses to direct urine away from his body).

On to the nail trimming. If you are using a metal file or clippers, be very careful not to cut into the quick. It is much easier to see the quick in white nails than in darker nails. Have styptic powder on hand to stop bleeding in case you do cut into the quick.

There are extra precautions to take if you are using a rotary tool. If the fringe on the ears is long enough to get in the way of the rotary tool, you should use a handkerchief or snood to keep the hair away. Consider something large enough to cover the chest hair as well.

Go slowly with the rotary tool and check every few seconds, because the nail will get hot from the friction of the sandpaper.

You may also want to consider taking your Papillon to a groomer or the vet to have nails trimmed, if you aren't comfortable doing it yourself.

Tear Stains
Tear stains can occur on white fur. Saline-soaked cotton swabs should take care of this. A wet cotton ball can be used to get rid of crusted tears.

I'll add pictures the next time I bathe my dog.
Back to top Go down
https://papillon.board-directory.net

[Guide] Grooming Your Papillon
Page 1 of 1